Egg Candling Certificate

Pbrchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2021
I’m taking the test for my egg candling certification in about 2 weeks. I’m wondering if any members have taken this exam, and if so any pointers? For those that don’t know this is a Georgia requirement to sell eggs outside of your home farm.

This is odd. Tn is pretty normal on egg selling. No certification, etc for people with less than 3,000 chickens. However the cleaning of the eggs is stringent, it's actually complicated how they wrote up the cleaning process.. You also have to put your address on the carton and the cartons can't be reused. But otherwise pretty easy on the rules here. I personally don't think it's uncle sam's ***n business. Nope I'm not an anarchist 😃

I've just started with the study materials. From what I understand there are a few reasons for the certification.
1. Safe handling instructions to reduce risk of the bacteria on the egg from entering the egg.
2. Standard method of evaluation of each egg. this is to sort, and grade each egg. I'm in the US, and we have 3 grades of egg. Certain metrics contribute to the qualifications of each grade.
3. Determine if the egg has been fertilized. I haven't gotten far enough in my study materials to know how that would impact my ability to sell the egg.

I'm still working though the study materials.

This is odd. Tn is pretty normal on egg selling. No certification, etc for people with less than 3,000 chickens. However the cleaning of the eggs is stringent, it's actually complicated how they wrote up the cleaning process.. You also have to put your address on the carton and the cartons can't be reused. But otherwise pretty easy on the rules here. I personally don't think it's uncle sam's ***n business. Nope I'm not an anarchist 😃
Thanks! I'll be sure and really focus on that part!

3. Determine if the egg has been fertilized. I haven't gotten far enough in my study materials to know how that would impact my ability to sell the egg.
You can't tell if an egg is fertile by candling it.
You could see if a fertilized egg has been kept at warm enough temps fr a fertile to to begin to develop.

I’m taking the test for my egg candling certification in about 2 weeks. I’m wondering if any members have taken this exam, and if so any pointers? For those that don’t know this is a Georgia requirement to sell eggs outside of your home farm.
I'm taking mine next week. How was it? What was the class and exam like? I was curious about the test.

Back
Top Bottom