Egg candling issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jruhle, Apr 12, 2012.

1. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I can't seem to find a bright enough flashlight to see whats going on with my eggs! I'm on day 7 of incubation and I used a really bright 24 led light and can't see any blood vessels or anything. One egg has a few cracks and a huge airspace so I thinik I will throw it out. I did candle a fresh egg which looked real clear, and these ones are fairly dark near the yolk. Are they alive? Am I wasting my time? I'll try something brighter soon! Just thought I'd ask some knowledgable chicken lovers for suggestions and advice.

2. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    are they dark eggs? if so it might be 14 days before you see anything worth while.
    get out the cracked looking one and let the rest be for awhile.

3. jruhle

Mar 16, 2012
    The eggs are olive green. I guess they are kinda dark. I can see the air space in few of them. Thanks for the reply! I'll look forward to seeing some action in the next couple weeks hopefully. If this works I'm going to try duck eggs next!

4. jruhle

Mar 16, 2012
    I cracked open the cracked egg and there was an embryo!!! OH NO!!! I guess I'll leave them alone, they are definately developing!

5. leirob007

leirob007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Upstate South Carolina
    don't expect to see too much by friend. not too much at all.
    Quit fretting, and just hatch your eggs.
    don't get excited. God has been making eggs that hatch for thousands of years now.
    more good chicks don't hatch from folks being overly careful then from neglect

Quote:

6. soffeann1997

soffeann1997 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    It is really hard to see in dark eggs but also make sure you are in a dark area when candeling. I have blue-green eggs also and they are very difficult to candle.

7. jruhle

Mar 16, 2012
    I guess I'm getting antsy in my pantsy about it. Got tired of waiting for a broody hen and put together a incubator. Seems to be working! The cracked egg did have a really big airspace so it probably wouldn't have made it anyway. Keepin my fingers crossed on the rest!!! Trying to be patient....SO HARD!!! I want chicks!!! I live off the grid so this should be interesting..... Heard something about kerosene lantern brooders?

8. soffeann1997

soffeann1997 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    I use an incubator also I don't have the patience to wait for a broody hen. Also like you I WANT CHICKS! And I live off of my calender I have eggs that have been in there for 10, 11, & 12 days I can't wait for day 21. I have candled my white eggs and I can see moving chicks. I have tried to candle my Amerucana eggs but the shell is to thick and dark. =/

[​IMG]

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I gave up candling green or marans eggs long ago. I candle them at lockdown in a pitchdark room when you can DEFINITELY see good and bad. Then there is no question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by