Egg Candling question. Day 5-6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BREKEN, Feb 15, 2017.

1. BREKEN

BREKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    So I candled everyone today. See veins in the bottom of all of the eggs but one. It appears clear. We are on day 5, should I take that egg out and say its not going to develop or hold out a little longer?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    No harm will come from leaving it a few more days. day 5 is quite early, and unless you are candling white eggs, you may miss an embryo. I'd wait till day 10.

3. BREKEN

May 31, 2016
    ok thanks. They are white Orust eggs. I did leave it in the Bator, will check again on day 10 and see what we got. If it does start to develop will it most likely be a late hatch?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Not likely. It may be at the tail end of the hatch. You will usually have a chick or two that will hatch a day early, and perhaps 1 - 2 that might hatch a day late, with all the rest of them hatching in the middle of that window.

5. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    Depending on the type of incubator you are using, the yolk where the embryo develops my no be located on the side. In incubators where the pointed ends are down, it is common for the yolk to stay near the center of the egg, making it more difficult to see early development. This can happen in other incubators as well, so I would wait until day ten before making my decision to take the egg out.

6. BREKEN

May 31, 2016
    ok thank you both,

I am using a Brinsea Advanced oct. 20 with humidity pump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by