egg candling?? what am i seeing??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naightengale, Aug 14, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so i have 19 eggs im plaing to incubate... i was curious so i candled them.. i have looked at the candling page with the pics and i find myself inconclusive... there were several eggs with dark patchs on the big end and #7 i could see the yolk and something floating along side it pea size and translucent what was that?? working with light brown eggs to med brown eggs most of them i could see a yolk?? some seem clear nothing there... . THANKS
    [​IMG]ok so if you look close youll see the large round shape of the yolk then just off the bottomleft youll see a lump on it. in real life this thing seems transparent but globuleish is that normal?? has this egg started to grow?? or is this what im looking for in a fertile egg?? and the others are duds.

[​IMG]
    yes i know my camera dont take good "dark" pics but its all i got.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    It's just too tough for me to tell. It looks like something is going on there. Maybe a better flashlight would help?

3. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    What day are the eggs on? Since the picture is not the greatest or a brighter flashlight might help too. But if it the first week you should be able to see veins and a transparent darker spot. If its the second week you should definitely see veins and the embryo moving around. Third week it will be a big dark spot not moving too much. Hoped that helped a little.

4. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    this is a unincubated egg i was candling to see the before look. they will hopefull go in the bator saturday... and the light was hugely bright considering the egg is a brown.. my camera is just crap.. sorry.

5. Animal lover342

Animal lover342 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    That's fine. Since its not incubated you really won't see anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by