1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahbeth003, Nov 6, 2014.

1. sarahbeth003

sarahbeth003 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    Colorado
    Hey all I am both new to raising chickens and this website. I'm looking for a little help. I was going to let my hen keep laying on her eggs but she stopped and my rooster got really mean when she was brooding, and since I have little kids that visit I wanted to try everything I could to make him less of a jerk. Anyway so I pulled the eggs put them in an incubator, I'm not sure how old they are but when I was candling I could only see a little bit of the spider veins I read about but there are big dark spots. No bad smell. I'm just not sure if this is good, bad or just plan ugly. Let me know thanks! I will try to upload a picture, but my phone doesn't seem to want to right now

2. sarahbeth003

sarahbeth003 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

It's now bigger and the veins areare a little bit more visible

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. If you can see veins that is a good sign. The dark spot is the embryo developing. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ This link is the learning centre for you, in the hatching and raising section there are pictures of candling eggs. You should be able to compare your eggs to the the pics and get an estimate of the development stage.

If you can see the veins and just a dark spot I would say they are quite early on in incubation. Good luck with your eggs :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by