Egg Care to eat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacy55, Nov 3, 2015.

1. stacy55

stacy55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    I posted this in a thread but wanted to make a new thread. We are new to the chicken business also. We live 20 minutes away from our coop. So its usually the next night before we get to the eggs. By then they have poopy all over them. I bring them home and wash and dry them. I then put them in egg cartons and put in fridge. We sell them to family and friends. I didn't know you weren't suppose to wash them. but there's no way i would sell them to people being all nasty. Is there a better way of cleaning them. Also how long is it safe to leave them in the coop. We try to get them every night but sometimes we can't. So you all are saying we don't have to refrigerate them. I could clean them and leave them on my counter for weeks.. Is that not unsanitizing to have them out. I just want to do it the right way and definitely don't want to make anyone sick. Thanks so much.

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you wash them, then they must be refrigerated... I don't refrigerate mine, but I don't wash mine... the bloom protects the egg but once it is washed off they need refrigeration or you risk bacteria entering the egg... :)

3. stacy55

Jun 29, 2015
    Thats what i do now. Wash and put in fridge. I just thought you weren't suppose to wash them at all. So is it safer if i just use a paper towel and clean it off not using water. Then leave them out? Will that effect them just getting the pieces off with a paper towel?

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you are intending to hatch the eggs, then most would say you aren't supposed to wash them... but for eating, especially if you are providing eggs to others beyond your household, they should be washed if they are soiled and put in the fridge...
    For individuals, it's mostly personal preference to wash and refrigerate or not... :)

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your birds are roosting in the egg nests. That's why they are dirty. The key is to figure a way for them not to roost in the nests they lay in. Providing perches higher than nests can work. If the birds stop or can't roost in nests then you have clean eggs. I'm having the same problem now with a young flock. They don't seem to like the perches but do perch in low branches outside...it's a waiting game for now...in the interim I put feed bags in nests each night when closing them up and take them out each morning.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't wash eggs. If gathered clean they are not intended to be washed and we keep them in a basket on the breakfast bar. Even a few small smudges I put in there and just use those first so people don't get grossed out. I can crack an egg on it's clean side and not have shell pieces fall into the pan or bowl so don't have a problem with it, just use them first in scrambled eggs so others don't get a problem when viewing my basket of fresh eggs.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm with Egghead. Prevent the poop on the eggs and washing is a moot point. Sure, you may get a bit now and then, but the hens shouldn't be pooping in the nest box regularly. sounds like you need to reconfigure some sleeping space for them.

8. stacy55

Jun 29, 2015
    I see what you all are sayino. We actually have roosting boards higher and lower than the nest. We arent at the coop at night to cover them up so they don't roost in them. So that isn't a option.we can't go check on them until the evening. I am just wanting to make sure it's safe to wash them and put in fridge.

9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, find out why the birds are roosting or hanging out in the nesting boxes and solve that issue... The birds should go in there, do their thing and leave unless they are laying on the eggs and if they are doing that they should not be pooping in there...

The one issue I have found is that at least for me some elder retired birds and some newly introduced young birds seem to seek the 'safety and security' of nesting boxes and that is not always an easy habit to break... I have found for this problem to just add more nesting boxes, and the layers will generally avoid the normally occupied 'safety and security' nesting boxes....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  10. stacy55

Jun 29, 2015
    Ok thanks. We have 18 hens all born around march. We have 10 boxes. And plenty of boards for them to nest on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by