egg care

AtlantaChicks

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
My chickens keep laying their eggs in random places in their coop.... so they get sort of poopy. What's the best way to clean them? Is it okay to use soap? Also, how long before fresh eggs go bad? Does the weather have an effect?

Thanks!

Your eggs will stay fresh for a few weeks without being cleaned.. That said I bring my eggs in and if they are dirty I let them sit on the counter til they seem to be close to room temp then just rinse off any poopy.. I dont use soap, or if I do I wait until I am using the eggs then wash just what I need.. I having seen that the weather affects how long they stay good.. I have had many freeze this winter and just let them thaw on the counter and they satyed good til we used em...

Ok, so does the time the eggs sit in the nest after being laid -no hen on them- like overnight "til the next afternoon, with the temp. around 70 degrees mean they are fine to eat? I couldn't collect them the other day and wondered if I should sell those eggs or give to the dogs. I would not want anyone sick. I get nearly 15 a day. Wondered what the "rule" was on this?

Those eggs are fine. We do refrigate our eating eggs !! We leave them sitting on the counter year round even during summer THye make a "fluffier" omlet and scrambled when left at room temp.

Quote:
I agree they are fine.. I too take my eggs out of the fridge the day before and let them get to room temp before baking.. i ahve left my eggs in the coop for three days once on vacation.. Tried the ole floating egg test and they were all fine...

Your hens are very proficient at protecting their eggs with a waxey protein covering called "bloom". If you have dirty poopy eggs:
1. get the sink water running at a warm temp that is comfortable to you but not HOT!.
2. Rinse egg under flowing water and "gently" work off the dirt.
3. Allow eggs to dry on clean toweling or better yet a rack at room temp.
4. refrigerate as soo as they are dry.
Never put a wet egg in an egg carton, it may cause bacterial growth.
We sell eggs at the farmers' market and this is how we prepare them for market.
Our own eating eggs....we just leave setting on the counter for easy access ( usually all the very large eggs and the very tiny ones that don't fit well into cartons.)

As far as leaving eggs in the nest.... Not a problem unless they are exposed to temps over 108*. The only thing, if left in temps over 99* is they will start to develop, if fertile.

The bloom on the egg prevents bacteria from entering through the porous egg shell. In years before refrigeration, europeans would take eggs in the fall and coat them with cooling candle wax and store in a cool place as a cellar or the barn and the eggs were good for 6 months.
How neat is that?!!!!
big_smile.png

If my info is erred......anyone else jump right in and enlighten us...plese and thank you.

The only time i use soap is if they are really dirty and only right before i open them.. Eggs are porous and will absorb the soap if left with it on them...I dont want to eat soap... Yuck

I agree with the peeperkeeper I wash mine with warm water and rub the dirt or poop off with my fingers most of the time it comes right off then I lay them on a towel to dry before they go in the fridge. I sell mine to local people and they do like a clean egg. But I never use soap. Also we have a well so Im not worried about chemicals in the water

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom