Egg carton ettiquete

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shakecc, Jun 24, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    We are planning to give away our extra eggs to family and friends, but am thinking ahead to how to store and give away eggs. I have seen some people comment that reusing store bought egg cartons may lead to bacteria transfer. I am curious as to what others do for egg cartons. Are there an products that resable washable plastic egg cartons?

thanks!

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Interesting... I've never thought (or heard) about germ transfer when reusing cartons. I've been collecting cartons for about four years getting ready for my chickens and now am using them when I give away or sell eggs. In my case, I didn't keep any cartons that had anything visual or wet on them. And, sitting around for years I'd think would kill any germs.

But??? I'm going to watch this thread to see what other's have to say about it.

3. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    we reuse the store bought ones and have never had any problems with it.

4. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Cardboard can harbor bacteria. Depending upon which kind, they can stay viable for years, or die right away. If anybody tells you about a bad experience, I'd nix the reuse idea.

5. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I should have said we reuse the styrofoam ones not the cardboard ones. And they can be washed out with an antibacterial soap if that makes you fell better about reuseing them.

6. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    We have never had issues, either. My customers give me their cartons back after they are done, and I reuse them again and again. Serious, this has been 6 years and NO ISSUES.

BUT you can always buy blank egg cartons from EggCartons.com and go that route. Problem is, it costs money. Reusing egg cartons doesn't.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    One lady I get eggs from reuses egg cartons to the point that they begin to fall apart! [​IMG] I've never had a problem with them though.... tasty eggs! No one's died yet... LOL

8. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    how about just bringing over the eggs in a collecting basket and let them transfer them to their own bowl or something?

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I ask them to bring me the empty egg carton back.

I do know that in Illinois if you sell eggs other than from your "yard", like at a farmers' market they have to be in new cartons.

10. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I have never heard of any problems, but there is a chance. Being in a fridge might be the key to keeping bacteria from growing. The styros here go in the dishwasher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by