Egg Carton Hatcher's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Homegroanacres, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
    Where do the chicks fit, if you hatch in egg catron's

I would be useing a flat carton and it seems to me that
    if I hatched 2 doz eggs, that the carton would take up
    most of the room in the bator.

John

2. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I just bought a genesis and finished my first hatch last week. I used 2 18 egg styrofoam cartons and placed them square in the middle. The chicks seemed to have plenty of room around the outside edge to get around and then a couple just fooled around in the middle. Seemed to work out well. I have nothing to compare it to, but I was happy with it.

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    John I just finished up my first carton hatch about 2 hrs ago, well I have 2 that will be tossed in the morning Im sure, after I candle. This was a long hatch [​IMG] but I got 15 out of 18 and they were shipped eggs, lost one early bloodring. I tried to observe all I could in the carton hatch. One thing is it puts the chicks on the outer borders, sorta like a one lane road for the chicks, I did have a small pan to raise the humidity with a paper towel in it. The chicks will stay in the shell a bit longer then drop off the side and a few will bounce around on top. It will get a bit crowded on the borders but I remove my chicks after they are pretty much dry. How I do this is U need help, and have the humidity at 78% or higher for a brief period. I do this by having a wet warm paper towel folded twice and ready when I have someone to open and close the lid. When I first reach in I put the paper towel on the side of the bator it will stick so dont worry. I then remove chicks with both hands ASAP. [​IMG] I liked the clean up, the eggs dont roll around, chicks seemed a bit dry but most liquid is left in the bottom of the shell, but I do run my bators drier than most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by