Egg Carton Hatching Method

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HEChicken, Jan 4, 2011.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I did a search and while I'm sure the information is there somewhere, I didn't find it.....when using the egg carton hatching method, I understand its better to cut out the bottoms of the cartons but what is the reason for doing this? (as I sit here laboriously cutting them out, I have time to think about such things.....)

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] I'm new too... planning on using the egg carton method. "Saladin" told me on my thread that you cut them open and down so that the air flows better. Hope it helps. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I had a HECK of a time keeping humidity up - didn't cut the bottoms out. But everything that should have hatched, did.

4. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    [​IMG] I am Interested also. I have some due in 15 days. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Egg carton materials tend to insulate the eggs, restricting air flow. I cut mine down so much that they were practically just a series of rings holding the eggs upright next to each other.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I like using the egg cartons but had a bad experience today.....
    I was checking eggs and discovered that one had pipped at the point,bottom,of the egg.
    I did not see it because the egg carton covered it.
    I had passed.
    I have seen clear plastic cartons and am considering using these next time.............

7. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Yes I used the clear plastic ones. I feared that if I used the regular pulp ones that a) it would absorb too much water and either not hold up or deplete my incubator of humidity or b) suck the moisture out of my hatching chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by