egg carton hatching - recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick2good4u, Nov 16, 2008.

1. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

I've read that some people use egg cartons beginning on day 18 and others leave them on their sides. Please give me the pros and cons of each. I am a first time hatcher and currently on day 15. I have 2 standard faverolles and 12 silkies currently on their sides in my 'bator. If I use cartons, should I use foam or pulp and should I make a hole in the bottom for more air circulation? Thanks.

2. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I have just recently started using the egg carton method. It is much easier, I find. It keeps the eggs from rolling around after some of the chicks hatch. I used the styrofoam last time, but this time I used cardboard, after reading that most people use cardboard. I do find that the humidity is a little harder to keep up this time. I don't know if it's due to the cardboard, or just a coincidence. I did poke little holes in the bottoms of each egg slot. Don't know if you really need to do that, but can't hurt, I guess.
    All in all, I do find that it is a much neater way to hatch.

Paula

3. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have a still air for a hatcher. When I tried the egg carton, I had a hard time regulating temps at the tops of the eggs (higher=hotter) so I started laying them on their sides. One recommendation would be to line the hatcher (bator) with shelf liner. Makes clean up much easier, less rolling around for babies and you don't have to worry about them getting caught or hurt on the hardware cloth floor. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used it a couple of times, but then went back to just laying them on their sides. I lost one chick that pipped and zipped at the wrong end and I didnt realize it til I pulled the carton out. The carton takes up a lot of room in the hatcher. I havent found any problems with hatched chicks rolling around the eggs that are left. Its just a personal preference with me to use no carton now.

I line my hatcher with paper towels, makes clean up a breeze.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

what kind of bator do you have?
    i used the carton method twice,, loved it the first time,, but the second time ( i used an LG) i watched a chick rest his head on the heating element,, if the top was another 2" higher, it wouldnt have been able to reach it.

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    This is the first time I used the carton method, I used the paper carton. I did only use it the first 18 days (no turner in my incubator), then i took them out and layed them on thier side.

7. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I have hatched several hundred in the egg cartons. It is the way I prefer to do it. I am sure it would cause a problem in still air incubators, as far regulating the temp at the proper levels though. I have used both cardboard and plastic cartons and couldn't tell the difference from one to the other.

8. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    I used the carton method twice first time worked like a charm the second time lost nine chicks to it because they pipped at bottom end of egg and couldnt see they had by the time I checked the eggs they had smothered pipping into the egg carton so was the last time I will use it. I put the rubber shelf liner in this time and it stopped the eggs from rolling so much and all eggs hatched without a prob.

9. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Not sure. I made a turner(like Gopher Boy's bator has) and I place an egg carton inside it, where the eggs will go. Then, when it's time to hatch, I will take the turner out(which is really easy and quick to do) and then place eggs down in bottom on the wire which is covered with the counter liner stuff. [​IMG] I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully it works! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by