1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg carton method question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, Aug 17, 2008.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I decided to use the egg carton method for this hatch and put them in last Saturday afternoon so yesterday was day 7 and I attempted to candle them, but it seemed that the air cell was on the bottom. There are wholes in the bottom of the cartons but am wondering if they should be moved or if they are supposed to be that way. I am so nervous since my last hatch didn't yeild anything.

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

the air sac should be twards the top, so the pointy end of the egg is down, good luck [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    With the large end of the egg up, the aircell should be at the top. Can't imagine it being at the small end, even if the aircell is loose.

Oh, you know what...I bet you are seeing a clear area at the bottom. Is that right? That just egg white that hasn't evaporated yet. When you candle from the top, you'll see the yolk and dark blob that is the chick. Then the bottom of it looks clear.

It looks totally different when you candle from the bottom. If your eggs were very fresh, the aircell may be very small. Be sure you don't keep your humidity over 40% or so...the eggs need to lose about 10% of their water contents so the chick won't drown.

4. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    The small end of the egg is down and it probably is the white that I am seeing, I hope anyway. I candled from the bottom since I couldn't find the innertube piece to do it from the top.

The humidity is running about 32 or 33 percent right now. Maybe jumps a little when a shower is taken but not very much anyway.

With 24 eggs in the bator, it looked like maybe 2 or 3 that might be duds. These eggs were petty fresh, a fellow farmer's market person who has chickens saved me some to put in the bator.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by