Egg carton method question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beckyloveschicks, Aug 18, 2008.

1. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    Today is day 16 and I have my eggs in cartons tilted at a 45degree angle, turning the carton from side to side 3 times a day. On day 18, do I put the carton flat on the bottom or still tilted? Or should I take them out of the carton and lay them on their sides on the wire?

Thanks

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

You can either let them in the cartons flat as many people do on here, or just put them on their sides on the wire. It's really up to you. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    It's all really up to you. People do it both ways (in carton or on wire). Mine are sitting flat in the carton hatching right now. So far no problems. The only down side(that I can think of) to hatching in the cartons is if the chick pips the wrong end. On the other hand if you lay them on the wire the first chicks that hatch will knock the others around.
    Good Luck
    Krista

4. beckyloveschicks

beckyloveschicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    NC
    Thanks.

This is my 2nd hatch and I thought I'd try the cartons this time because the chicks did roll the unhatched eggs around,

I do worry about them pipping the wrong end, but I cut the bottoms out of the cartons, so hopefully the will be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by