egg carton or not????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michiganlarry, Apr 27, 2009.

1. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    My eggs are due to come out of the turner tomorrow evening. I need advice as whether to use the egg carton method or just lay them on the wire in the hovabator?

2. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I personally prefer not to use the egg carton. I have hatched both ways and prefer to lay them on the grate. I used the foam shelf liner on top of the grate this time and it really worked well. It has holes thru out for ventilation and eggs stay in place some what better. Good luck on your hatch!![​IMG]

3. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Thanks. I think I am going to lay them on the grate. [​IMG]

4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I swear by the egg carton method. I used to lay my eggs on their side w/ pipe cleaners around them so they wouldn't roll to the side, but eggs always got knocked around when chicks started to hatch. I would loose at least 2 - 3 because of egg rolling - IMO. I plan on using the egg carton method come Wednesday when I pull my eggs out of the turner. I've used both methods at least 4 times and I think the carton method works the best. I use the cardboard material carton - don't use the syrofoam. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by