1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg carton v.s. laying egg on the side???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 19, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I made a homemade bator and I was wondering if using an egg carton would help when turning my single egg. [​IMG]
    The egg I have is on day 19 and it has been laying on it's side since I put it in the bator. it grew normally, but will letting it lay on it's side (and sometimes facing up) harm the chick?
    Thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    ...anyone...?

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

nope,, wont hurt it to let it stay,, my first 4 hatched that way. just dont turn it anymore,, next im trying the keep them on the side,, then day 18 put them in (air sack up) carton.

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:OK, ya I stopped turning the egg yesterday. [​IMG] Thanks for the advise! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  5. the1much

your welcome [​IMG]
    i think its gonna work out better for me to put them in the carton on day 18,,,,that way the ones that hatch first dont push around the ones still trying to hatch,,,, least thats how im looking at it.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    With only one egg I think it's pretty pointless. I'd just leave it. Carton hatching is mostly done to keep the eggs in place and the early hatchers from scattering everything.

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    How do you "turn" an egg in a carton?

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:you use something to put under the side of the carton, to tilt it sideways. Then you switch it once and a while to make sure you tilt it both ways. [​IMG]

9. the1much

if you just use the carton at the end,, day 18,, you dont turn them.

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Does hatching in the egg carton keep the 'bator any cleaner? Do you ever have a chick get stuck, like when an old hatched shell sticks around an unhatched chick? Seems like it the air sac is up, you're good?:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by