Egg carton vs no carton?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosetinted, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    I'm getting near lockdown (sunday) (wooohoo!) & was having a hard time deciding if i should use egg cartons for the hatch or not?

My eggs are shipped & 15 have made it this far from the 24 I started with, they all look good today & I will candle again quickly right before lockdown.

What do you think, carton or no carton? & if you use a carton, do you usually just put them pointy end down or off on any slight angle at all? [​IMG]

2. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    If you decide to use a carton, cut off the bottoms of the cups to help air and humidity circulation around the eggs. Just put them in pointy end down.
    I like to use the carton for the first 18 days, but I lay them down for lockdown. Just my preference, many use them for lockdown too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I have done both ways and I didn't really notice one being better then the other. Try it and see if you like it....

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:same for me, the only thing is if you have a chick in the egg wrong they have a harder time hatching

5. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I like the carton hatching because there's less mess. The chicks leave everything in the bottom of the shell and the eggs don't get kicked around either.

6. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    I ended up using a egg carton on my last hatch it was my first time using one,I did cut down the sides of the egg carton.
    Just like you I was wondering the same thing,I thought there was a lot less mess and it worked great.I have done it
    both ways with and without a egg carton,I will use a egg carton from now on,unless I need more room in the hatching
    trays,that is the only draw back I can see,takes up a lot of room.

[​IMG]

7. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I personally don't use the cartons. They take up lots of room, absord humidity, lower your circulation, and although the incubator isn't natural in nature they lay on their sides so I stick with that.

If you do make sure to cut away as much of the egg carton as others have said to aid circulation.

8. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used them several times and been very happy with the results. I don't like the eggs getting knocked around by the first few chicks that hatch. Seems like that would make the unhatched chicks have to work alot harder to reposition themselves and break out. I agree with earlier post, cut small holes in the carton under each egg and remove the lid. This helps ventilation. Good luck!!!

9. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I am using cartons this time. Can anyone tell me what the chicks do when they get out of the shell? Is there anything to do for them then?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. ultra1classic

ultra1classic THE FLUFFINATOR

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    used cartons for my second time in a hatch today..11 out of 12 and 1st hatch was 5 for 6...i think i will stay with the cartons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by