egg carton vs no egg carton?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peeps, May 24, 2008.

1. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I just set my eggs thursday, so I have a while to go, but I was wondering what is up with putting eggs in a carton to hatch? Is this better than just laying them on the bottom?

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    People have had various results using the carton method. I hatched one egg yesterday in the carton, and I have to admit it seemed like it was easier and faster in the carton. Only about an hour from pip to peep. The only disadvantage I can see so far is that you can't tell if the eggs are wiggling or not because they're held firmly in the carton. And on the rare occasion you get a bottom pipper, you might not see it in time.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Some people like to use egg cartons for hatching because it stops the eggs from rolling around during hatching cuz the chicks will roll an roll an hit the other eggs during hatching so some people use the egg carton to keep the eggs in place

but either way is fine, for me right now my eggs are on there sides hatching maybe next time i'll try the egg carton. but either way is fine for hatching

Good Luck On Your Eggs [​IMG]

4. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Thanks for the quick responses! I think I will just lay them in there. I have 36 eggs going...not much room to roll around LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by