Egg Cartons .20 Cents A Piece

rapunzil

Songster
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
Kendall Park, NJ
I was looking online for egg cartons and every place I found I thought the prices were kinda high. At my local feed store I get them 20 cents each for a paper pulp 1 dozen size.

I'm curious to know how much other folks pay for cartons, and were do you get them? If you order online, please also advise of the shipping costs.

Thanx!

Do you have a freecycle group in your area? advertise you are in need of egg cartons and you will never have to buy them. Or try craigs list. there are lots of people who save them and have nowhere to get rid of them.

Only 1 place that sells them around here and they get 45 cents a carton. It's the blank foam type. Everything they carry is high. I even asked if they would drop the price if I bought a lot and they said no. I don't shop there anymore.

23 cent each at the feedstore.
The local grocery store used to give them to me free, as I was such a regular customer, but alas that store closed a few years ago.

Imp

We are really new to the chicken thing and haven't gotten a lot of eggs just yet, only have 2 girls that are laying right now, and those that we have gotten (6 eggs to date) we have eaten. What do you use stickers for and how do you go about selling your eggs? We have 8 chicks and aren't sure what sex they are but we hope to be able to have a few more laying hens in the future. Sorry if this is a silly question, just trying to learn as much as I can.
big_smile.png

You can get stickers that say "free range" or "organic" or lots of other stuff. I recycle egg cartons instead of buying them and stick "free range" over the brand name and stick "mixed sizes" over the large imprint on the cartons. You can sell them in any number of ways....a sign at your drive, or signs on community boards, Craig's List...on and on. My favorite way is to barter or just give them away (I have really a lot of eggs!) Sometimes I do make a sale but usually just use word of mouth. Good luck! Terri O

Between Freecycle ( Freecycle.org and find your state and city) and family - I get MORE than enough for free.... I also give a 50 cent discount on the eggs if they bring their own carton.

I sell my eggs at a local farmers market and the food inspector told me "You are NOT to use previously used egg cartons for reasons that the person may get salmonella poisoning. I see people do that all the time to save themselves money but in the long run I don't think it will pay off for the issues at hand in court if they choose to take you to court, stating they had used egg cartons their eggs were put into. Egg boxes.com from what i saw is about the cheapest I've found yet.

Back
Top Bottom