Egg Cartons Delivered today!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady Catrina, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Lady Catrina

Lady Catrina Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Joshua, Texas
    I was so eggcited to see the big box outside my gate [​IMG]
    I counted them, and recounted, then counted again..... Does anyone count the cartons that they ordered, and come up a deficiency? I had ordered 200, and there were 194. Am I paranoid, or do the sellers of these cartons short change by a small few, thinking we won't notice? I did send them an email, we will see what they say.

Other than that one glitch, I love the cartons! They do say 'large' on the inside of the lid, but that can be marked out with white paper label, or marked through with a marks-a-lot.

Now, question - what can I mark on my eggs, for dating them, that won't cause toxicity to the consumer? Can I use regular stamp ink with no problems?

Will send pix of them, if ya'll want... I am so happy to have them here! [​IMG]

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I never mark my cartons with dates, because I reuse them. I do, however keep track of which carton is oldest by positioning in the refrigerator. The oldest is pushed to the right and the cartons get sold from right to left or used from right to left. They don't last long enough for me to worry.
    I have my name, address, phone # and 'please return cartons' written on the tops of the cartons. It works out well. I have reused the same cartons over and over again.

3. Lady Catrina

Jan 8, 2010
    Joshua, Texas
    Quote:I like the idea of rotating the cartons - and putting 'please return' on them - will have to make a stamp to do that. However, my question was:

Quote:I was doing the rotate the egg cartons in the fridge thing, but soon forgot which eggs were from which day. Plus, as I am separating by color, I need to know which eggs are how old. So, for now I have been using a date stamp, with an everyday stamp pad.... Is this toxic to the consumer? I have heard of using all different types of marking on eggs when incubating, but I am selling for consumption. With a promise of 3 doz/day, this will help me tremendously. Since Eggland's Best puts a stamp on their eggs at the grocery store, I would love to assume it is okay.
    Can anyone answer that for me, before I have to toss all the stamped eggs?
    Thanks!

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If you use non toxic ink, I can't see what the problem would be. It would probably be a turn off to me, as a consumer though.

5. Lady Catrina

Jan 8, 2010
    Joshua, Texas
    Oh! I guess I didn't think about it from that angle, I had thought that seeing that the egg was only a couple days old, vs taking my word for it, would be a selling point.... Hmmm. I will have to take that into consideration. Thanks!

6. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Good on ya! I get excited about little things too - life is short, enjoy all the stuff you can, big or small.

I made up a small business card which I either tape on top or put inside. It has a little pic of a hen and eggs and says:

Hi _________________,

Your declicious fresh eggs were laid and collected on ___________________.

Thank you for keeping my happy hens employed!

It has made folks smile and lets them know exactly how fresh their eggs are. :)

7. Lady Catrina

Jan 8, 2010
    Joshua, Texas
    Quote:That is AWESOME! Thanks!! Do you mind if I pirate this idea? [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG] Tomorrow is going to be stamping the cartons with our 'Farm' info, and the state required info, then on to sales [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by