Egg cartons in bators, question about setup...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 11, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I want to put my eggs in egg cartons tomorrow when I set my eggs. How do you prepare the cartons? I know I need to cut them down, but by how much, a 1/2", 3/4"??? I will put holes in the bottoms and sides of each cup and I will stuff in between each cup with paper towel so the chicks don't get stuck. Any advice here would be helpful!

Thanks
    Jen

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I've never tried this but when I've seen people do it, they just cut down the egg carton a little bit so the egg can still be held and thats it. they dont use stuffing or anything.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Below image are Eggs in A Carton with Bottoms cut out for Ventilation, if you can cut more do so, you want to avoid water in the bottoms which can cause bacteria to enter through the shell.
    [​IMG]

HOWEVER, if you are meaning to do this for hatching only here is a bit of info for you if you havent already seen it..
    from my article and research https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    See how that air cell is beginning to dip more to one side? This is a natural occurrence to help aid in the hatching process. If you lay the egg down on a flat surface it will roll itself into the correct position for hatching with the greatest part of the air cell up. I now mark the upward side of the egg so I know how it should remain for hatching. This is the best position for hatching so that the chick is able to turn into hatching position. See images below….

Day 18 laying horizontal for actual hatching helps a chick hatch 1-2 hours earlier.
    The hatching position, with each egg lying on its side, is commonly accepted as the most conductive to efficient hatching, and the freedom of the egg to shift or roll at least to some slight degree appears to contribute to the ease and facility with which the chicks may fracture the shell by pecking to emerge from.

[​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I will add that most hatcheries now lay their eggs down for the actual hatch, interesting clinical studies online too!

Good luck!

5. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I set my eggs a couple of hours ago, in cut down egg cartons, fat side up, at an angle. Now I am second guessing myself. I did this because then they start to hatch I do not want the hatched chicks causing the unhatched eggs to roll around...since I started out in the egg cartons I'm thinking I should leave them there, or take them out and use the cartons for hatching only?

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I don't cut down the carton, set fat side up for entire incubation. To turn you can prop up sides of carton or tilt the entire incubator, use a book or block to move one side then other. I've hatched both ways, in carton and on side. The end results didn't make a difference for me but some, whom hatch a lot more than me, swear they get better results keeping them in cartons for hatch.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you already set them, leave them. Its not near as important as other factors in incubating. Sorry to worry you overly! not my intention, just sharing info! Inucbation is filled with second guessing at first, then add shipped eggs and OMG insanity! lol

I have some that go into lockdown tomorrow! So it will be cool to know you have yours hatching too! keep in touch with updates on pips and such! I will follow along!

8. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Mine will go into lockdown on the 29th. I mostly concerned with the temp. I have two types of thermometers in there right now. The regular mercury one that came with the bator (which is a loaner from the co-op) and a digital one I bought from Wal-Mart that reads inside/outside temps and humidity. I have the whole thing in the bator with the outside tempt sensor on the top of the eggs, and the mercury one is laying on top of the eggs. I have no water in the bator, I am going dry for my first hatch.

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

10. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY

I am keeping a very close eye on the air cells, and will add water if needed. At this very moment in time I don't think I need any. I am waiting a couple days to candle again and will determine then if I need to add a little moisture. That hatching 101 article is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by