Egg cartons on lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eldonrgv, Jan 4, 2017.

1. eldonrgv

eldonrgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2016
    Roma Texas
    Been hatching for quite some time and I've had decent hatches. Most of the ones that die on me on lockdown is mostly either they piped on the bottom of the egg or the eggs were rolled by the chicks that hatched. I read several posts of hatchers using the egg cartons during lockdown and had no problems with the eggs upright on the carton. I've never tried it but planning on doing it tomorrow on lockdown with my last hatch due on 7th/8th due to power outage.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I have and do both methods of hatching, just depends how many eggs I have hatching. For smaller batches I use cartons and find them great for monitoring eggs as they can't get knocked around the incubator. The only downside I have found is that you can't see if you have any pipped at the wrong end of the egg.

Good luck with your hatch :fl

3. eldonrgv

eldonrgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2016
    Roma Texas

Thanks....40 eggs go to lockdown tonight. Candled them last night and all 40 are going to lockdown.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello......Please explain in more detail the egg carton thing to me....I am hatching eggs also in my incubator.....

appreciated greatly.....

Cheers!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frow @chickens really

You can use cut down egg cartons for hatching in to keep the eggs in position whilst they hatch. You just need to set your eggs in them at lockdown with the fat end up so the chicks can pip and zip around the egg. It's good for monitoring eggs progress as hatched chicks can't knock them about. I also find it makes for an easier clean up after hatch as much of the debris is kept in the egg shells that remain in the cartons. Hatching in egg cartons can also help with eggs that have detached or misshapen air cells. Hope these pics help with seeing how the egg carton method works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

That's great that 40 are making it to lockdown :highfive:

Hope it all goes well :pop

7. chickens really

That is great.....Although I am a bit confused as to the date to use the cartons then???......Sorry.......I need help....lol

Cheers!

8. chickens really

9. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

You are most welcome :D
    If your eggs have been in a turner or you have been hand turning them you transfer them to the cartons and stop turning them on day 18 as you usually would for lockdown. You don't need to turn after day 18 as the chicks need time to get into position for hatching. Turning is vital though until at least day 14 as turning helps the chicks to develop all their parts and limbs in the correct position and it also keeps the nutrients in the egg moving whilst the embryo develops. By day 14 though the chick should have fully developed parts and limbs. Most people find it good practice though to turn until day 18 then you can bumb the humidity up (at least 65%) and get them set for hatch either in cartons or laid on their sides all at the same time.

I'm more than willing to help, that's why we are all here :D
    You can ask as many questions as you wish here in this thread, that way it may help more peeps who come and read or participate. Other members may also join in and help with your questions too. If it's all in a PM it does not benefit everyone.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  10. chickens really

Oh great news.......Thanks......I have mixed hatches in my incubator.......I got crazy.....Oops.....lol
    All my eggs are seeming to be doing great....Some Chicken, most are Ducks....Quack...lol.........

I have them separated and dated with Straws as corrals to keep things in order.......So it is fine to let them hatch on the side...Very good to know....How do I do this with other hatch dates?.....I totally confused myself by getting so excited with the eggs.....Also I turn the eggs 4 times a day.....too much?

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by