Egg cartons... paper or plastic?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 19, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Which do you prefer and why? I was planning to reuse them.... styrofoam, paper or the plastic ones that seem pricey? Thanks! I want to be ready for when they all kick in to egg laying.... whenever they decide it is time!

2. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    I prefer styrofoam as I can clean them with a spray of bleach and water mixture and dry them before giving them back to friends with eggs. Let people know you are wanting cartons at work, school, church, and you will be surprised how many you collect. When buying for customer outside the family ring I buy paper because they are cheaper. I buy misprints and stick a label on them.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I like the paper pulp 'cause I'm old, plastic and styro never go away. Plus I would rather use a factory fresh carton for each new dozen. OCD again, still?[​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I use both the styrofoam and paper cartons. My family saves them for me, and I give them back to them with eggs.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I ordered a lot of paper egg cartons online..my customers also give me their egg cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by