Egg Cartons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I was told it gives you a better hatch rate to let them hatch in a egg carton, True? if so they manage to get out of the egg? seems like it would be harder for them. I have 6 silkie eggs and 8 easter egger eggs due on lockdown on wed and may try it. Do I just stick them in the egg carton the exact way they are in the egg turner?

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I was going to ask about this myself! Everything I've read so far says to place them small side down in the egg carton for lockdown. They just pop out the top of the eggs! I'm just wondering if I should use styrofoam or cardboard egg cartons?

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

The following is only what I've read; it does not come from personal experience, so take it with a box of salt:
    I have 27 eggs for my doctor's wife that will be going into paper mache egg cartons tomorrow, Tuesday, for the final three days. I have cut a small hole in the bottom of each egg section for air flow around the eggs. I will put the eggs in with the large end at the top. Supposedly this gives the chick inside two-three days to get into position to begin pecking its way out, causing the top half of the egg to break away. Meanwhile, with my humidity's being between 60%-70%, theoretically any excess moisture will go to the bottom of the egg, saving the chick from drowning when it first pecks into the air space at the top of the egg.
    Supposedly, using this method keeps the hatched chicks less exposed to cracked egg shells, and it makes it easier to clean the incubator once the chicks are removed. Guess I'll know for sure Thursday.

The alternative is to lay the eggs on their side on the floor of the incubator, slightly tilted with large end up. This supposedly will produce a hatch similar to what happens when the eggs are under a hen. I've done that, and it worked, messy, but it worked.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Heres my page on carton hatch.
    http://cmfarm.us/cartonhatch.html

Yes you stand them up just like they are in the turner. Honestly, I have not had any luck with it but others on here love it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I have been using paper cartons, but I worry about cleanliness with them. I may wash & use the foam ones people give to me...I don't know. I have been happy with the carton hatches. With a large incubator and a small amount of eggs, there is too much egg soccer from the hatched chicks. It has to make it near impossible for the really bounced about ones to hatch.

When they are more tightly packed, it's not so bad, but I have also lost chicks from sections of already hatched eggs getting stuck to intact ones or blocking their exit. In my opinion, you do need room around the cartons for the chicks to get off of the cartons and move around. I have also had to reach in and pop a few out that hatched, but didn't have the strength to get up and out all of the way....there's benefits and drawbacks, but so far the benefits are on the upside for us [​IMG]

6. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Thanks all! 2 more days till lockdown guess im going to be starting on cutting up some egg cartons tonight! [​IMG]

7. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    From experience, and experimentation...the egg carton method worked great. As some have already stated, it helps prevent a game of soccer getting started in there, adding to the already difficult task of hatching. I also found with a few eggs that they suffocated/drowned when laid on their side, because they pipped on the bottom side of the egg, instead of towards the top (top and bottom of the bator that is).
    Having the holes in the bottom didn't really make a difference on mine. Though I did cut the top down about half way - I had the problem of chicks pipping too low, and not being able to get out because there is a carton in the way, and also again, suffocating themselves.
    I also noticed that it is much easier to clean up than laying them in the bottom. The eggs stay right in the carton, so you just take the carton out and dump it in the trash when your hatch is done. With mine, there were usually only a few small chunks of shell on the bottom of the bator from when the chick pipped.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have only tried it once. hova bator full, bad mistake. the chicks had no where to go once they hatched. 20 eggs or less would be ideal. more than that lay them on there sides. i lost 12 chicks do to shrink wrap because i had to help some out of the cartons. this time i have 15 silkies in the bator, and i am going to do some extra triming on the cartons so they can get out safe. use the styrofoam ones. i am going to trim the sides of the carton where the eggs sit. so they can get out of the shell and carton.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Oh my yes - that's the only way I hatch. Works great. During my first few hatches I layed them on their sides. I watched the chicks trying to get out only to be rolled over by others and drown in their own egg fluid/gunk. It's great watching them hatch out of the egg cartons - they zip the tops off, rest a while, then eventually climb out. Just block the edges of the cartons (or trays, which I use) with paper towels so they can't wedge themselves underneath once they crawl out. You'll be amazed at the increase in your hatches.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I always say if it's not broke, don't fix it. So if you're already having good hatches, no point in changing a thing. If you're having lousy hatches, it's certainly worth a try.

I will say from my own personal hatches, I have never used egg cartons and get mostly 100% hatches just laying them down on the wire, so I don't find a need to try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by