egg cartons

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blue90292, Apr 1, 2008.

1. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i sell eggs to the public and thought i'd sell them in one of those recycled plastic egg cartons. i tried some calculations and it seems i can't find them anywhere for less than 40 cents a carton after you put in the shipping. does anyone know anywhere i can find these cartons?

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Did you look at the sponsors at the top of this page?

3. blue90292

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    I checked eggcarton.com, the other egg something site and MM has some cut they all come out to about 40 cents a carton by the time you put in shipping.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sad but true, it will be about 40c each if you don't buy them in the pallet load. But what will most of us do with 10k cartons? My customers recycle cartons.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I bought 10k cartons. I'm surprised how quickly I've been going through them. Our rules do not allow for the re-use of contaners, so it's a clean carton every time we pack eggs.... which is about ever 4 days now.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Who did you get your cartons from and about what was the cost per carton. I can get them locally for .25 cents each.

I have a call in to a company back east that manufactures them, but they haven't called me back yet.

Thanks,

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think I saw some at the feed store for 35 cents each once. However... I mainly sell to friends/acquaintances so I'm not a real business. If you are, you will have to go with fresh cartons each time in most places.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    eggcartons.com has the best price, depending on shipping. I want to say my cost is closer to $0.10 per dozen; not going back to check my records.

9. blue90292

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    my feed store sells the yellow foam cartons for 15 cents a carton. but my eggs are very multicolored since i have white layers, marans, easter eggers, and your brown eggs layers that it's much prettier packaged in a clear carton.

i wouldn't mind paying 25 cents a carton but 40 cents is a bit much. i don't have a real chicken business so my real job's coworkers recycle their egg cartons with me. it saves me alot of money, but i don't get very many dozen cartons. mostly 18 paks and i need more doz cartons, so i was looking around.

greyfield, you should sell your cartons on byc! [​IMG]

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Have you tried ebay? I saw some on there last year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by