Egg Cartons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afveteran88, Jul 2, 2011.

1. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    Just wondering where everyone gets their egg cartons. I have looked online and saw prices that range from .25 all the way to .36 each. I know the more you buy the cheaper it gets. But any great deals out there.
    Thanks

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I got all mine from the store. I collected them from when we started getting chickens till they started laying.

3. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I guess I need to start saving mine.

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    put the word out to your friends and family.. I have more cartons than I do eggs to fill them most of the time.

I also saw a box at the livestock auction - something like 144 egg cartons.. that went for a ridiculous price like $2.00 for all of them..

If you have a "freecycle" group in your area - posted "WANTED - egg cartons" and you will get a bunch..

If you have school age children - let their teachers know that you are looking for egg cartons.. they can spread the word in the school or class newsletter and get you plenty - reward with a couple dozen pretty eggs and you will have a source for life.

If you have a nice base of egg customers -- offer them a $.25 discount if they bring the carton back..

If I think about it some more.. I might come up with other ideas.. but hope this helps some..

I am a super-recycler.. so hate to throw anything away that can be used.. I have aligned myself with several other like minded people/groups so we swap and trade "stuff" the might normally find its way to the landfill.

Shelly

5. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Quote:Great Ideas

6. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I have been thinking about this because I want to be ready when my girls start laying, which is still a ways away. I thought I had read that you shouldn't reuse the cardboard cartons because they can harbor bacteria?

Thx!

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:When i was a kid my mom used to reuse the cardboard ones.. she got a bag of them from one of her friends.. when i took a close look at they they had little tannish bugs crawling on them.. my science teacher at the time said they were some sort of paper mite.. ever since then I have never messed with the cardboard ones. I use the foam ones so I can always dunk them in a sink full of diluted bleach water if they look like they are dusty and need a bath.

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:My wife has started doing that too! [​IMG]

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I have an Eglu and they were sent with my order. I love them because they are for four eggs. The ones I get when I purchase eggs at farmer's market are clear plastic with custom labels. I believe they are from here- http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/clear_plastic_egg_carton.html

I
    recognize the label. If I bring back my egg carton for a refill I save $.50 so I'm very good about keeping my container and getting a refill! Oh, and I pay $2.50 for six.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hoping to sell as few eggs when my pullets are in full swing. So I have been reading and researching. Depending on your plan to relocate eggs to someone else's refrigerator, you may consider a couple options.

Each state does have some regulations about handling eggs, especially if they are for sale. And each state has it's own rules. Often a new carton is required.

Some customers want a new carton; some are willing to bring their own for a discount (25-50 cents); giveaway eggs are usually accepted with a smile regardless of carton.Some customers like plastic or styrofoam, others cardboard.

For my current use, I have saved cardboard cartons and reuse those. Older ones have a way of becoming fire starters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by