Egg cartons

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenboy2001, Feb 5, 2013.

1. chickenboy2001

chickenboy2001 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Hillsborough, NC
    Does anyone know where to get egg cartons in the NC triad?

-Chickenboy

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    You can ask your local grocery store if they have cartons. sometimes they give them away free!

3. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    I just ask people who buy eggs and they start saving them for me.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you google, you'll find a number of companies that sell egg cartons, egg boxes and mail them to you. Likely, there a minimum order of a few hundred at a time.
    Our local TSC and other rural supply stores also sell them. Spendy though.

5. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    I thought I read once that it wasn't a good idea to reuse egg cartons? (I'm doing it right now as I have nowhere else to keep them). Has anyone had any problems with this? Obviously I am talking about reusing clean cartons, not ones where an egg might have broken. The ones I have are the pressed pulp ones.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I have the cardboard cartons I've reused dozens of times. When they get too worn and don't stay closed, they get turned into firestarters!

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Lots of places will sell you cartons in lots as small as 25. I've purchased from http://www.eggcartonstore.com/ and http://www.zellwin.com/category_s/52.htm and https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productlist.a5w and been pleased with each vendor. TSC and may feed stores will sell them by the each, but they're pricey that way.

Where you get your cartons is going to be partly dependent on what you want them for. If the cartons are just for your own use, then just ask friends to save them for you. We did that when we first got hens, and you wouldn't believe how many we got! I still have a giant stack in the basement somewhere. If you want to sell eggs in them, then there are laws about what can be on the cartons and what can't be. Here is Ohio, you can sell in any old carton if you sell from your property, but you have to have a specially labeled carton if you sell off premises.

For eggs for my family to eat, I reuse cartons over and over until they fall apart, and then I compost them. I dont' worry about reusing them because I wash the eggs before I put them in the carton. And if you're not washing them before, well, they're not going to pick up anything new from touching the carton anyway.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Thank you Donrae!

9. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Thank you Walking on Sunshine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by