Egg Charting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aemelia, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Does anyone keep track of which hens are laying eggs each day? Is this something I should put on the calendar to make sure none of them go too long? I only have 3 pullets and each lay an egg that is a slightly different color so it wouldn't be too hard to keep track of I just wasn't sure if this is something other people do.
  2. kevinhannan

kevinhannan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    It's something I've considered but decided against it as it means confining 10 ex-bats to close-quarters
    (and they have already served their time in tiny cages).

Instead, I marked the day I bought a new bag of feed and the number of eggs each day. So far I have
    a 20kg bag lasting 14 days and getting 107 eggs - a cost of approx 11p per egg. However, I also supplement
    with own-grown greens, worms, etc, which costs nothing but time. Most days I get 8 or 9 eggs from 10 girls.
    I get a drop to 5 when the weather is bad for two or more days in a row.

Rather than upsetting myself and my girls, I've decided to wait until egg production is around 55-50% before
    deciding which ones to give away as pets by the process of segregation and counting eggs per hen.

I hope this helps.
  3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I keep a record too. I have a calendar on my computer and I put on there how many chicken eggs I get, how many duck eggs, the temperature, heat index (these two are a big deal here). And I leave myself room for notes, like, Found thin shelled egg in nest that was light brown, tossed in trash.
    I don't keep track of individual birds since I have 9 laying and 5 more growing fast. And it's too hot to do a trap nest on them to identify which one laid what and how often.

But keeping a record is a good thing IMO because it let you look back and see what happened and when.
  4. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I keep track also....but until I can get leg bands...I have no clue what hen laid what egg!! [​IMG]
  5. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Mine are each laying a different colored egg and I only have 3 hens so it's easy to tell who's laying what. I just thought if a girl went too long between laying I would know one of them might have an issue that needs further investigation. I wasn't sure if I was over thinking it or if I should just be happy I finally have eggs. I have no plans to get rid of any of them based on laying ability we have had all three since they were 3 days old.
  6. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I thought about issuing my 9 hens each an ID badge, and make them scan in before entering one of the nest boxes. [​IMG]

I've been keeping track of how many, but not who laid. I do know that all 9 are now laying since I got 9 out of 9 last Friday.
  7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I keep track. But really just for the fun of it. I log it on my blog. I know I've missed a few eggs here and there so it's not 100% accurate. But it gives me a good idea of who's laying. And an excuse to celebrate the milestones. They all recently surpassed the 100 egg mark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by