Egg cleaning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jmass, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jmass

jmass Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    Marion
    I am currently just cleaning my dirty eggs with water. Is there and cleaners that would be better to use or is water safe enough? I live in the delta and it is hard to keep the eggs clean in the winter with all the rain and mud. I am also having a problem with three hens roosting in the nesting boxes creating poop on the eggs.

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm also new at this but from what I've read you're not supposed to wash eggs unless absolutley necessary. It washes off a coating that keeps them fresh. Fine sandpaper was recommended to me. Mabey some of the pros on here can come up with something better!!

3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Eggs can be cleaned with water warmer than the egg about 120 degrees. Eggs cannot be soaked in water to clean for example soaking in a 5 gallon bucket.

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I've always washed mine in very lightly soapy warm water using a paper towel to wipe them off. My concern about not washing them would be that cracking them against a bowl could introduce salmonella into whatever I was cooking.

I'll be interested to hear what other have to say.

5. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    I was told to use Oxine by someone -- don't remember the "mix" but supposedly its a kill all, end all to little buggies and safe for the eggs. [​IMG]

6. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    A lot of small producers use unscented automatic dishwasher soap. Wont foam up.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I use warm water and dish soap. I've done it for years and years. My eggs keep just fine. Sandpaper takes off a lot more than water. Think about it. Water doesn't scratch the shell.

I don't think you need to get all guerrilla warfare against any possible germ, possible exposing yourself to chemical toxins, but neither do you need to leave eggs dirty for fear of removing what is, after all, a gas-permeable film on the eggs. That means the egg can breathe. So you wash it. The egg can still breathe. Maybe it loses moisture slightly faster, but I doubt it's really significant.

There's another thread title that was asking if it's ok to rinse poopy eggs. (well, if you don't want poop in your food...) You might find that one and read it, all this is addressed there, as well as warm vs. cold, etc.

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    All our chicken eggs are rinsed and dried. Duck eggs, which are frequently muddy, are scrubbed with a brush under running water. Water is always quite warm and I use a tiny bit of well diluted dish soap on eggs that are somewhat soiled eggs. Eggs that are badly soiled are thrown away.

Note: Chickens shouldnt be allowed to sleep in their nest boxes because they will badly soil the box. Just go out each night and take the naughty girls out of the boxes and move them to a roost. If you do this after dark then they wont move back to the box. Usually, in a week or so, they will get the message and will start going to the roost at night.

chel

9. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Well I guess I'm gonna be washing all my dirty eggs now. They will definately look more apetizing!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by