Egg cleaning

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Colored Egg Farmer, May 4, 2008.

1. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Has anyone ever used household cleaning pads to clean there eggs. I use the Mr. Clean magic eraser.

2. I was washing mine in warm water and dawn but someone on the forum said they weren't supposed to be washed, so now if one of my hens lay in the poop I just try and keep cleaning with the hay, and I have one that does it almost every week.Someone else may know more than i do I'm a sorta newbee, just turned a year old, and these are the first chickens I have had in probably 25 years or more.[​IMG] marrie

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I only wash mine if they are really dirty like on rainy muddy days etc. I use just water and rub them clean under the faucet with my fingers.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i wash my eggs with water.an use a ragg to get them clean if they are stained.i never use soap washing them.

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I have seen egg cleaner for sale online, I am not sure what is in the solution.Anyone ever try that?

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If my eggs are dirty, I just use warm water and dish detergent. I rarely have eggs dirty enough for me to bother though, I try to keep the nest boxes clean.

-Kim

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The bubble buckets you can get online work very well. [​IMG]

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

bubble buckets???

PS I just use water and a rag if they are dirty, which is usually on a rainy,muddy day.

9. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I just read an article in Backyard Poultry, that said the best way to clean the eggs without destroying the natural bacteria barrier is to use a paper towel on moist manure and sand paper on dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by