Egg cleaning

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pittsk, Aug 17, 2011.

1. pittsk

pittsk Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    My hens are 19 weeks old. Looking forward to getting eggs soon. Any suggestions on egg cleaning and storage. Thanks for input

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

To clean them, I just use my bare hands to exfoliate them with warm water. Some people use mild soap. I don't dare to. I don't want it seeping into the pores of the egg [​IMG]

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    It's easy - don't. Unless there's poop on them (in which case, you need to clean the nesting box and make sure nobody sleeps in there) you want to leave the eggs alone because there's something on them called "bloom" which is a natural barrier so bacteria don't get in (I learned about that here on BYC!) If you wash the eggs, the barrier gets washed off too. Just set them whereever you want to store them (some folks refrigerate, others just set them on the counter) and if you want, rinse them right before you use them.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We clean our eggs right before eating. I've gotten 2 eggs now and they come out very clean.

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I agree, only wash if dirty. Rinse before use...2 yrs of eggs and no problems!

6. Atrayu

Atrayu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    great question and thanks for the replies. I am expecting eggs anytime from my young hens, so this information is very helpful. I really enjoy reading the posts here on BYC.

I am the care giver to 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Ameracaunas and two Red Stars all living organic and happy lives.

7. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    Quote:X2

8. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    I only wipe off if there is a little poop on them. Put them in carton and into the fridge.

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I wash them as I wash my hands. My rationale is that the eggs may not be visibly dirty; they have had a roll in the hay. We all know hay is far from sanitary. I know there is suppose to be a coating that keeps the bacteria from penetrating the shell. If the bacteria is washed away and absent from the shell, mission is achieved.

My kids remarked that the poop and eggs come thru the same place.
    Not a pleasant thought to put unclean eggs in my fridge.

10. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by