Egg cleaning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wallydvr, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Wallydvr

Wallydvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Does anyone have a better way to clean eggs than soaking in water? I see commercial variety bottles sold at ts but didn't want to buy this for a few eggs a day. I would of searched the site but i don't have that option on tapatalk w my phone. Thanks and sorry if this is a repetitive ? .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. brezlynsmom

brezlynsmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    No need to soak them. If you think they need washed just use damp cloth to wipe them off. Lots of people don't wash their eggs until use. There are alot that wash before putting in refrigerator. Is all personal opinion.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If you really want to wash your eggs, you can buy a commercial powdered egg cleaner that does a great job. You would only use a little bit in a little bit of water, since you only have a few eggs.

I just wanted to make sure that you knew to use HOT water to wash eggs. Water that's warmer than the eggs will cause air to move out of the egg, taking dirt and bacteria with it. Water that's colder than the egg can force bacteria into the egg.

4. Wallydvr

Wallydvr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2012
    Did not know that thanks for all the info every one. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by