Egg colecting

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pedenes, Jan 2, 2009.

1. pedenes

pedenes Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2008
    My gamefowl hen starts laying some eggs and I've been colecting their eggs coz its below freezing cold outside

first eggs was cracked and frozen solid because of the cold

Should i just collect them and when they are many enough put them in the basement were is warm and put my hen with them?

is she going to sat on them?

How long should i keep eggs withouth incubation??

I have an incubator but a prefer the hen should do the job

THANKS IN ADVANCE PLEASE any one>?

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If it is that cold that the eggs freeze, collect them at least twice a day. You can keep the eggs for about 7 days before they go down hill. The game hen is not the best broody hen, so unless you know she is broody, she won't hatch them for you. Keep the eggs at around 60 degrees until you have used up your 7 days. Then put them in your incubator.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:You should collect the eggs several times a day to make sure they are not going to freeze. Date them and you can keep them upto 10 days for freshness in a cool dry place to set or incubate. Not the fridge!! Turn or tilt them in an egg carton once or three times a day to keep the fertile disc from sticking to one side.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:She wont sit on them unless she is broody !!! Its hormone thing in the hen that makes her want to sit and hatch babies !! If you really want to hatch chicks from her eggs you should set up the bator, unless you know she is broody !!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If her hormones don't kick in for her to want to set its best to incubate the eggs.

6. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Games are like bantams,she proably won't lay a lot before she goes broody. Games are usually good setters and mothers. My EE bantams are starting their spring laying so I am keeping a setting ready so when one starts I will have enough fresh eggs to put under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by