egg collecting is like xmas everyday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sixty7x, Dec 26, 2010.

1. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    Well, 2 of my 3 hens have been laying just over two weeks now and everyday feels like christmas. I never know what I'm gonna find when I open the door. Sometimes 2, sometimes 1, and maybe none. These are my first chickens and it's very exciting. I'm sure alot of you here on BYC have been doing this for years. Does the feeling ever go away? I can't believe it does. I'm hoping my BR starts laying in the next month or two. woohoo! Does anyone else get this excited about egg collecting?

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    In that case, for the last few days I have had a bad Christmas...no eggs for me. [​IMG]

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:I know that feeling...and trust me, after years....It does NOT go away...that is sometimes the highlight of the day. only another chicken lover can relate... LOL

4. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I got 5 yesterday...the most so far! 4 this morning...I am so proud of my girls!!! [​IMG]

5. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    I've been keeping track of how many eggs per day since they started laying on 10/1. It doesn't get old! [​IMG]

6. tinker

tinker New Egg

Jul 26, 2010
    sixty7x:

Your post could have been writen by me! That's EXACTLY how I feel every day now that my girls have finally started laying.

I'm glad to hear the 'christmas' feeling doesn't go away.

I'm impressed that people know who laid what. I've got seven hens (lost one to hawk? couple of months ago) and I'm only guessing that the smaller darker eggs are from the red hens, and the others are from the Plymouth Rocks (?).

Question about handling the eggs. I've been rinsing them off with water only, drying them, and putting them in the Fridge...Is this enough? I don't want to get cooties![​IMG]

7. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    I feel the exact same way. I was just telling someone the other day it is like Christmas everyday for me when I find eggs! I don't think the feeling ever goes away. I had chickens for years as a kid and I loved to gather eggs. I just started keeping chickens again, but I can't imagine not being excited to find eggs. The thought that these awesome little creatures that I love dearly are able to lay a delicious egg is amazing to me.

8. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    Nope, never goes away. I've had my girls since May 09, and the novelty has not worn off for me yet!

9. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] I know exactly what you mean!!

I bring the eggs in the house and proudly hold them up for Hubby to see. "Have you ever saw such a beautiful egg?!?" He just shakes his head at me and laughs. Each egg is a miracle to me.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Nope. Doesn't go away. At least is hasn't for me, yet. When I only had 8 layers, I knew exactly which hen laid which egg, because I have a very varied flock. Now that I have more layers, and some of the same breeds, I have a little bit more trouble guessing. Both my Sebright pullets are laying, so I know the tiny, white eggs were laid by either Alice or Joy. Rebecca was my only green egg layer, but her daughter Samanatha is now laying and they look exactly alike except Rebecca's are larger. There are a couple more Easter Egger girls really close to laying, so I'm looking forward to see what I get from them.

But every egg is a treasure worth finding. Plus, the younger layers are choosing different coops in which to lay their eggs, like they're not sure they like THIS one or THAT one. I have 8 coops and have found eggs in each of them. Sometimes different ones, or a sudden boost like 3 ladies chose that spot that day. The next day, 1 egg. Or none. They'll be in another coop.

So it's like Easter AND Christmas every day at my place! Hunting for the colorful gifts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by