egg collecting question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the Pollo Loco, Dec 15, 2009.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    is leaving the eggs in the nesting box a problem for the chickens if I can't collect them till every 5 days? There's 3 hens. so if they are all laying one a day that would be at min. 15 I'm not worried about them freezing or being damaged by heat, I just don't know if it's a problem for the hens. or does anyone have a pic of an egg collection system that works for them. thanks

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    If you have to check on food, water, and welfare of the chickens daily...why wouldn't you collect they eggs while you're out there?

In Santa Cruz I'm thinking that your daytime temps might not be safe to leave eggs out for 5 days. Also the birds will step all over and possibly poop all over the eggs in the nest making them unusable.

3. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    I haven't kept chickens for very long but this site has lots of info I've been digesting. This is my .02 based on my readings and experience. I think that leaving eggs unattended for more than even a few days could spell trouble. 1) It may encourage egg eating & once this happens its hard to reverse. 2) If your coop is not sealed tight like a drum, I would worry about varments such as rodents eating the eggs. And as mentioned lots of dirty eggs.

Of course if you had some type of egg collection system I'm not aware of that doesn't encourage varments you may have a solution.

Others with much more experience will chime in soon.

...JP

4. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I don't think it's a good idea to do that if you can avoid it. Even if you were planning to just throw away the eggs when you came back, I'd still be concerned that with that many eggs in the nest boxes, there might be a greater risk of one of them cracking and the chickens acquiring a taste for eggs (i.e. become egg eaters!).

5. We collect ours several times daily. So i really dont know much about leaving them in nest that long.

It may create a problem leaving them for 5 days in the nest. The chickens may start pecking and breaking eggs and end up eating them , step on and break eggs and etc.

You also wouldnt want them laying out in the heat for very long or want them to freeze if left in real cold temps if you plan on eating them i wouldnt think .

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I agree with the other responses. I think leaving eggs out that long is inviting trouble. I collect mine a couple of times a day, even with the cold weather. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Leaving them there invites egg-eating and then you have to destroy the bird that is guilty (and you have to find her) [​IMG]

Solution is to get help, or build the type of nest boxes that funnel the eggs thru a small hole to a place where they cannot be reached by the chooks. They will not spoil in a week for sure but could freeze. If they freeze, still ok for scrambling or baking if whole egg product desired. [​IMG]

8. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have to agree with the others--- I wouldn't leave them for 5 days either. I usually collect mine 3 times a day --- so far my pullets don't intentionally eat eggs but if one gets broken they will eat it. I have 22 laying right now and get between 10-14 eggs a day and even though I have eight nest boxes they tend to use the same two or three [​IMG] --- so if I don't collect them at least 2-3 times a day inevitably one or two will get broken [​IMG] . I am lucky though I work from a home office... I would say at least once a day if you can. Good Luck!

9. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    I agree with everyone else on all points! I just left my eggs in the barn too long one morning and when my 4 yr. old went out to collect them one of our hens had started pecking the egg already!!! She didn't actually break through the shell so I don't think she got a taste![​IMG] BUT...that put a quick end to my procrastinating ways!(lol) Now it's first thing that we do immediately after breakfast! I also check again before chickie bedtime! My family and I are going away on vaca this week so I simply called up my neighbor and asked her if she would be so kind as to gather the eggs once a day for me while I'm gone and she was WAAAAY MORE than happy to do it!!! Think FREE YUMMY eggs...who would say no! My thoughts are that if you can't do it at least daily then...find someone else who will..you'll be surprised how many people would enjoy doing it! And you can always pay them in eggs![​IMG] Blessings,Keri

10. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    if you can not get to them for some reason for 5 days maybe see if a nice nieghbor, friend or relative wouldnt mind going out once a day in the afternoon to gather eggs, that way there wont be any in there over night to get broken , eaten or nabed by vermin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by