Egg collection time ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JimnJanet, Feb 27, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I've heard said.... wait till the end of the day to collect yer eggs.
    Any veracity to this ?

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I collect several times throughout the day. If too many lay in the same nest an egg can get broke dirtying up the other eggs.

Also I have some ladies that will start setting if enough eggs are in their favorite nests.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I collect 2-3 times a day. keeps the eggs from getting as messy as they have been when I tried collecting at the end of the day.

4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    If you wait until the end of the day you are sure to get all that were laid that day. Eggs left overnight attract critters. So if you don't want to be running out to the coop several times a day or can't(job?) it's best to get them at the end of the day.

5. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    It's an old wives tale with no logic. There are a number of reasons to collect the eggs through out the day if possible. Weather conditions being one of them, i.e. extreme cold or heat. A broken egg in a nest is not only messy, it often times leads to egg eating by the hens. If they pick up that habit it is almost impossibe to break them.
    I know of no reason to leave eggs in the nest and risk losing them and or establishing an unwanted habit in the hens.

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree. Those are the very reasons to collect often. It is good flock management.

bigzio

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I collect them several times a day, as others have said they will get dirty, broken and then eaten.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm sure a lot of us have no choice but to collect them when we finally get home from work at 5:30. Wish I could be home to collect throughout the day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by