Egg Collection

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 9ByDesign, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 9ByDesign

9ByDesign Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Do hens ever lay after dusk/ before dawn? I am new to this and my hens just started laying.

I live in Florida, so heat is a factor, though it is Winter now. I try to collect twice a day---will try 3 times a day in summer months. What I want to know...is how long can a freshly laid egg sit and still be ok? I mean, if they lay at dusk...and I don't find it until the next morning...how would I know and should I toss it?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've had some that I've seen in the nest box before daylight and I've also had one or two in there after dark. An egg is not going to go bad overnight. You have alot of people that don't even refrigerate their eggs and there kept in bowls on the counter!!

ETA: I live in Louisiana so I know what you mean about the heat but I've never had a bad egg yet!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. 9ByDesign

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    ON the counter?! Wow!

4. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Eggs are good for many days without refrigeration.

5. 9ByDesign

Jul 31, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, FL
    Really?!

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup--in European countries eggs are NEVER refrigerated. You shouldnt wash them either until right before using them. The hen puts a "bloom" on the egg that protects it so she can lay a whole clutch without them going bad. I would say you have 2 weeks before you would have to worry...dont leave them in the coop that long though or you might have some babies!!! [​IMG] Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by