1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Egg color and aggressive behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks252, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Chicks252

Chicks252 In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Norman, ok
    My question(s) to all is : what makes some of my chickens eggs brown most of the time and sometimes they may be speckled? I also have one chicken who sometimes is very aggressive towards my pink crocs that I wear outside. Any replies appreciated.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    I think the specks have soemthing to with calcium,but I am not sure,i'm sure someone else will know.

3. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    When my pullets started to lay, some were speckled, like sprinkled with salt. My first dozen. You can see some on the bottom row.[​IMG]
    At 10 months old I got a speckled egg this week, but it's rare now. If the speckles are brown, I get those too.
    The pink crocs could be close to red in color. Chickens love to peck at red. GC

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. Chicks252

Chicks252 In the Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    Norman, ok
    Thanks

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Brown eggs are white eggs coated in a brown pigment layer at the final point - sometimes this pigment is applied more or less heavily and speckles can occur. Certain breeds are more commonly found to lay speckled eggs. When the speckling is sporadic rather than routine it's indicative of some fluctuation in the bird at the time that particular egg was formed, whether it is in the calcium, a glitch in the pigment application, etc.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    In addition to the color being potentially attractive on your crocs consider whether these crocs make your toes visible - toes are very attractive to them, especially if they are sporting polished toenails.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few of which are a 'problem'.
    Can be caused by:
    Excess or uneven pigment coating.
    Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
    Excess calcium deposits.
    Porous eggs can appear speckled.
    Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
    The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by