1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg color??? Best laid plans... hilarious

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by alibabba, Nov 29, 2016.

1. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    So, waiting waiting for that first egg on My Ameraucana X Bredas. One of the older clean legged sisters lays a nice deep blue/green when she's not broody.
    All three hatched from light creme eggs, Roo from a blue blue.

So...

This is what I get?

[​IMG]

Its kind of pink, which is nice. But im going for bearded, featherlegged, blue egg!

I know obviously, someone is mixed with something... only 2 roos here one would be a creme or white egg, the other a pure Ameraucana(blue).

How many generations back would there have beem a brown? Why not green?

Scratching my head!

Waiting to see what the other sister lays....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Ameraucana are probably Easter Eggers, instead.

3. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the input!

Im thinking it would have to be a few gerations back, i guess i mistakenly thought egg color was pretty straightforward. I have ee hen crossed with polish, lays pale blue as expected. And the older sister, blue/green as expected.

Breda hens from a breeder on BYC.

Ameraucana Roo from a show breeder near me. (Purchased from John Blehm) to improve this breeders egg color.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What variety is the rooster?

5. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Hes the Ameraucana, - 3/4 buff, 1/4 wheaten [​IMG]

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If he's throwing pullets that produce brown eggs, he's not what was claimed. Could be an Easter Egger/Buff Orpington cross.

7. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    True enough... Somethings up.

just found this posted on BYC

http://www.utilitypoultry.co.uk/eggcolour.shtml

"BLUE
    The blue egg colour of the Araucana is a dominant gene - so when the Araucana is crossed with another breed - the female offspring will always lay blue or tinted eggs"

I just have hard time believing this show breeder fibbed. Her reason for letting him go, was he was no use as a showbird and she purchased from John Blehm specifically for the purpose of injecting a stronger blue to improve their egg color.

Trying to think if I made a mistake... I only had one Cochin cross that matured to crow, he was their brother, so he couldn't be their father. And one hatched over the summer, so again, he wouldn't be the issue. Any other cockerels running around would have been either polish, leghorn, Ameraucana, Breda or some combo there of. No Brown egg layers there.

I have a Lav Ameraucana that lays a moss green egg. I have one of her pullets same age as these, POL any day. Now extra curious to see what she lays also...

Just so odd that the older sister lays exactly what I expected...Nice Blue/green.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The blue shell gene is dominant over white, so even if a hen only has a single copy, she will lay blue, provided she doesn't have any brown 'coating' genes. Brown eggs are the result of a coating applied over a white shell. A green egg is the same coating applied to a blue shell. There are over 9 different genes for the brown coating, and individuals can have more than one. This is why shades of brown can range from pale cream to dark chocolate. And the coating genes inherit independently from the shell color genes. I had an Easter Egger/Barred Rock cross that didn't inherit the coating genes at all, she laid pale blue. Her sister from the exact same parents lays light green.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by