egg color change - according to diet ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ELOISEtheCHICKEN, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Has anyone found that the egg color of a hen changes with what they are eating? .....Or does the egg color just change all the time anyway. I'm not talking brown to blue, just that some days the eggs are a darker or lighter shade than the day before. I'm wondering why this happens?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Egg shell color can get lighter or darker over time depending on the pigments that the bird has in their bodies. Older hens usually have lighter eggs. Ocassionally, an egg fast to pass though the color department of the shell making process can end up lighter too. Usually girls are pretty consistent after they pass their pullet stage. Yolk color can change a bit due to diet, but just different shades of orange/yellow. All is gradual though besides the ocassional oops.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That is really interesting. I get eggs from our egg lady where the dark brown washes off when I wash it! At first it freaked me out thinking she was selling me store eggs and painting them! [​IMG] Then when she gave me two of her hens THEY had eggs where the color would wash off. WHEW! Is that normal though?

4. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I noticed my chickens egg color seems to change a bit day to day. They are young. So maybe that is the reason. SO you don't think you can control thecolor of the shell by diet? ......only the color of the yolk by diet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by