egg color change from brown to white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrdruids, Jul 28, 2011.

1. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    my 2 bantam brahmas used to lay really brown eggs but lately they've been more of an off white, is this good, bad, or normal? the eggs are still yummy as ever [​IMG]

2. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Not an expert by any means. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone [​IMG] My eggs range in shades of brown on a daily basis. I was told from someone (not sure if it is true) that it can vary depending on what they eat. I hope someone has a better answer though as mine is kind of just hear say for now.

3. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:hmm, well for a while we kept them cooped up in their moving coop all the time for fear of them runnin away because we live in the suburbs, but we've been letting them out for most of the day for a month or 2, maybe that's it... lots of bugs in the diet

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I"m certainly no expert, but I have read that the eggs are darker at the beginning of an egg laying cycle and get progressively lighter until the beginning of the next cycle.

5. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    Quote:wowzers i didn't know they had cycles (i'm a bit green and still learning) how long is a laying cycle?

6. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    I was wondering about lighter colored eggs, too. Mine are brown layers, but 2 of the eggs I've gotten in the past week are VERY light brown, almost white. I figured it was just the way things happen, since I'm a newbie to chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by