Egg color estimator

overeasywv

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2016
I'm not sure where this question goes: I have acquired 2 Olive Egger pullets, and they are laying. They have been with an Easter Egger Roo and a Black Copper Morans roo (mostly the latter, I think). I've had them a week. Now, as of Tuesday, I'm going to be starting an incubator of Dominique eggs and Ancona duck eggs, and I thought, what the heck, why not put in whatever these new girls lay between now and then and see what I get? I am assuming fertility for up to 10 days after exposure. If the Morans is the father, I would expect some variation in eggs beginning with olive and heading toward the camouflage colors; if the EE is the father, I would expect some variation from light olive and heading toward the pastel range, maybe aqua. Does this sound reasonable to you seasoned veterans of aviary genetics?

Olive eggers should have one blue and one dark brown. Cross that with the Marans rooster, you'll get some Olive, other darker shades of green, and some dark brown. One gene from each parent, picture the Punnet square.

The EE rooster is a wild card. He could be pure for the blue egg gene, in which case you could get some pure blue eggs, and then shades of green. He could have one blue and one brown gene, in which case you'd get shades of green and brown. He could possibly have a white egg gene, unlikely but possible. Then you'd get the more pastel/creamier shades of green or brown.

Olive eggers should have one blue and one dark brown. Cross that with the Marans rooster, you'll get some Olive, other darker shades of green, and some dark brown. One gene from each parent, picture the Punnet square.

The EE rooster is a wild card. He could be pure for the blue egg gene, in which case you could get some pure blue eggs, and then shades of green. He could have one blue and one brown gene, in which case you'd get shades of green and brown. He could possibly have a white egg gene, unlikely but possible. Then you'd get the more pastel/creamier shades of green or brown.
A far as shell genes go, I think it would be either blue or white, not brown.
The brown coating genes are much more complex.

@overeasywv ...This post would be best in the Olive Eggers thread, there's a few people there that are very fluent in the genetics aspect of crossing for OE's. It also would be good to know what breed birds were used to create your OE's.

Back
Top Bottom