1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg color for BO's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doublebow, Aug 31, 2009.

1. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Several years ago I got my first laying hens and had two BO in the group. I watched them all closely and learned what each hens' eggs looked like. The BO's I had then laid large pinkish brown glossy eggs. I bought 5 BO hens last fall and these lay a matte light pinkish beige egg. Which is normally characteristic of this breed? The first batch of hens came from the feed store and the second batch came from a breeder.

2. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    My BOs came from Ideal through a feed store and lay a light beige, matte egg. The eggs are not as big as the RIRs' but bigger than the Wyandottes'.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My BO's are just starting to lay and I seem to have some variation of color between them but they are new layers and that may stabilize later.

4. doublebow

doublebow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Hmm. Interesting.
    The ones that laid the the glossy eggs had the biggest eggs out of all the breeds I had at the time. RIR, Black rocks and Barred Rock. But these I have now have eggs smaller than the cuckoo marans and dominiques. I hoped these new ones would lay the same kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by