Egg color gene???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luvchicks8, Sep 2, 2009.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well I am rehoming my EE rooster Charlie at 10 am this morning and the lady asked me (the newbie) who has never hatched chicks, if he will pass on the green egg gene?? I really want to give her a guess but really I have no idea. She has austolaups and rhode island reds. From my understanding she wants to mate him with her hens to get green eggs, she also is willing to purchase an EE hen but would prefer not to and just use Charlie to produce green egg laying chicks? Anyway I hope that makes sence. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    A friend told me that the chickens get the colored egg gene from the rooster but have not tried it myself to verify if its true or not.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thats what I heard but I don't want to miss inform her there are no guarantees is what I told her.

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Well as soon as my ameracauna rooster gets old enough Im going to mate him with a RIR to see, I will have to wait for the chick to grow up. I will let you know in about 7 months. [​IMG]

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    well if you EE rooster have a Pea comb then you are in luck!! if thats the case at least 50% of the female chicks hatch will lay green eggs and at best ALL of them will lay green eggs.......................but if she wants greener eggs I would recomend her using your EE hens over one of her roos, you see the roosters have more influence in brown egg shell than the hens out of that mating I would chose the darkest green egg layer and mate her back to her father or another RIR and repeat untill I have the darkest egg layer I want....goood luck:p

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    Well here is a picture of Charlie he does have a pea comb .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by