1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg color / Genetics Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by acire67, Feb 5, 2011.

1. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    We just hatched out some eggs from our mixed flock. I have a Welsummer rooster over a BR, RIR, Colombian Wyandotte, Red Stars, and some EEs. Will the pullets that hatched lay dark eggs because their father is a Welsummer and carries the gene? We plan on keeping some of the hybrids and would love to have some dark egg layers. Thanks!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I think so, but I'd like to hear what people more knowledgeable in the genetics will say. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No. If the Welsummer is from hatchery stock, the offspring are quite likely to a lay a brown just a smidgen darker than usual, but in most cases it will be a normal brown. I've crossed even the darkest laying Marans to normal brown layers and get an orangey Welsummer color, so using that back to a brown again, and, pretty sure the most you get are brown or speckled brown.

Now, your Welsummer x EE will be an interesting one, they should create some offspring that will lay pale olive green eggs.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Well, darn. [​IMG]

5. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Thanks for the responses. My Welsummer rooster is from a breeder not from a hatchery, would that make a difference? My EE only lays an egg once a week, but I'm planning on putting one in the incubator sometime. I just hatched out some Olive Eggers (bought the eggs from a BYC breeder); the roosters were Wheaten & White Ameraucanas and FBCM hens.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It makes a slight difference, but not much. Plus, we talking a true Welsummer breeder or someone who got hatchery Welsummers and bred them? That's the tricky part to tell [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by