Egg color genetics question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aamanda, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I just have some backyard chickens. Nothing special genetics wise just special to me lol. Most of them are RIR. I also have two Buff Orps, three Bantam Cochin and an EE that are laying right now. Im working on incubating and have learned a lot from my first try. lol. Have two chicks from that try. Anyway giving the bator another try and this time I was picky about the eggs I put in. I have four of my EE and the rest I only put in the darkest eggs. Am I correct in thinking this will produce hens that carry a darker color egg gene? And will probably eliminate the RIR X BO crosses? I don't mind if I get those crosses. Im going for egg color. Or does someone have BO that lay very dark eggs?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My orps always laid lighter colored eggs than the RIR did. There are like 13 genes involved in brown egg shell color last time I looked, and they don't always act consistently, but in general the egg shell color of the offspring should be about an average of the parents. With the really dark layers like Marans they do think there is something sex-linked going on and they recommend to be sure the rooster you use is out of the darkest egg possible.

3. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I was wondering if the gene came from the roo or hen. I plan to just keep hatching out the darkest eggs and breed the pullets back to my roo for a few years. Then when his fertility drops I will replace him with a roo out of the darkest and breed it back in. So it will be father to daughter for some time and then basically brother to sister I guess. My starting stock is pretty large so it should not be an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by