1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg color in mixed breeds? How is it determined?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MamaMarcy, Mar 26, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Is there any general rule as far s what color to expect eggs to be when 2 breeds are mixed?

I want to breed our Americana/easter egger hens with our frizzle rooster. Is it a coin toss, or would the hens dictate egg color for the offspring?

Thanks!

2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    It is most likely random. The egg color gene is probably in both hen and rooster, and the outcome would produce blue eggs or brown.
    But something is telling me it would likely lay green eggs. Because the olive/greenish color is, in truth, blue with a thin layer of brown, maybe it would combine them and lay green.
    However, if an ee/frizzle bred an ee, there is a 75% chance of there being blue eggs, but not including green eggs. Just hatch a lot and see what you get,

3. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    [​IMG]I copied this from athe Olive Egger thread, Hope it helps. :)

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are MANY genes that affect egg colour. Most, but not all, are autosomal (not-sex-linked). There is a single gene for a blue eggshell, and it is autosomal.

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    you guys rock...thanks! i'm on an inucating pause but will find out someday he he

6. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    incubating pause? Bwahahahaha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by