Egg color of Americauna has changed? Anyone ever had this happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Turkenlover, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    So I have an Americauna hen who is just over a year old that has been reliably laying light green eggs for as long as she has been laying. Then out of the blue (no pun intended) this week, she laid a light blue egg. It's REALLY blue. She has not laid today, but she is only in with Turkens, so I can't imagine that anyone else but her laid the blue egg. Anyone else ever had their Americauna egg color change?

I'll try to post a picture later.

2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Yes, my Easter Egger (EE) eggshells change from med-light sage green to more light blue, and back.

If yours lays green eggs, she's an EE, not Ameraucana. Ameraucanas lay a blue shell, without the brown pigment overlay that turns the shell color green. It's a genetic thing. EE are a cross between Ameraucana and another breed that lays brown eggs or sometimes white eggs.

3. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Sounds like you have a EE. Can we see a pic of the chicken? Where did you buy the chicken from?

4. Turkenlover

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Here is a picture of "Nell," my little angel. I bought her from a private individual who sold her to me as an Americauna. I would not be surprised if she was actually an EE.

[​IMG]

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I am not familiar with what a true Americuna looks like. She sure looks like an EE to me. And it sounds like it with green eggs and egg color changing. My three EE's egg color varies from day to day. I have one that is sometimes a nice blue and sometimes is green. And I do know for sure that it is her eggs that vary in color. All three eggs that are distinctly different.

6. Turkenlover

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Awesome, thanks everyone! My customer who loves the "Green Eggs with Ham" may be bummed, but I think it's hysterical! [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's an EE. Green egg color is just blue with brown coating on it. So maybe her paint booth forgot the brown and it came out blue.

8. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG]

9. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Speaking of different colors, my EE laid this aqua-color egg today! It's a strange and beautiful color. She's never laid one this deep blue before. Here are pictures, next to her usual sage-green color egg:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by