Egg color question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meduaz, Apr 29, 2016.

1. meduaz

meduaz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Chilliwack BC, Canada
    We are raising our first rooster. He is an easter egger roo. This might be a silly question but will him mating with the other birds change their egg colors?

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

All depends on what egg gene he carries and the hens carry... An EE should carry a blue egg gene but there are no guarantees of that since it's just a generic term not a breed... Plus if he does carry a blue egg gene he might also still carry a brown or white gene that could also get passed...

**As clarified below the act of mating along will not change a thing, this is an offspring chart...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Do you mean will their egg color change simply because he is breeding with them? Genetics don't work like that. Him mating them won't change their egg color any more than a brunette getting married to a blonde would change their hair color.

If you breed them, there is potential for the offspring to produce green eggs; but since he is an Easter Egger there's really no guarantee at all that he even carries a copy of the blue egg gene.

4. meduaz

meduaz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2016
    Chilliwack BC, Canada
    LOL, that was a really dumb question now that you explain it like that. Thanks

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Trust me, I've heard crazier ones. As they say "The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask."

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It wasn't a dumb question at all [​IMG]. You're not the first, and probably not the last to ask that question. Misha's answer did state things very clearly, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by