egg color question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vanessabuffsnsilkies, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    has anyone ever seen a barred rock bantam egg that's almost white? The only others it could possibly be is another silky or a standard partridge rock pullet or an ee pullet.

[​IMG]
    pic on the left is a silkie egg

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The lighting may be throwing off the colors in the pic but there's good odds it could be from an EE unless you already know what your EE lays or they come from a good source (not a hatchery). Some can lay near white eggs where unless you set them next to a pure white egg you won't see the blue tint. Some actually do lay white eggs. Others can lay every shade of brown from barely tinted to really dark. It's a gamble when you buy EEs unless you have more information on the flock.

3. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    That's what a difference in color it is. The lighting is sunlight and the camera didn't flash when I took the photo.

my EE's when I bought them were chicks marked "americauna" on the box from a livestock auction. They are only approx. 16weeks old! They did start getting red in the last week or so.

so a barred rock wouldn't lay an egg that light?

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    That egg has a slight blue tint from here which is why I said it could be the light throwing it off. Just because you use natural light doesn't mean the angle or the camera doesn't see it incorrectly.

A barred rock shouldn't lay an egg that light but that doesn't mean they can't. Every now and then things just line up that you get a light or odd colored egg from a hen. If you continue to get light eggs though it's genetic and you either have very badly bred barred rocks which may not even be pure because they are lacking the brown genes or it's from something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by