Egg color question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bethk, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I bred a olive egger rooster with hens that lay brown and pinkish ligh brown eggs. What color will the offspring hens lay?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    the ones with Pea combs will lay green eggs, some will lay almost olive eggs

3. mmeyette

mmeyette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Snohomish WA
    It is my understanding (although I am JUST starting to learn about chicken genetics) that the egg color is sex-linked to the rooster. So I believe the green will be dominant and you will get green or olive eggs

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    your correct, your understanding on this matter is limitted...

egg color, especially the brown shades are a polygenic trait, meaning it has many many genes at play. not just one, and the blue egg shell gene O/O is not sex linked

5. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Another question.... I understand blue is dominant. If I breed 2 green layers could I get a hen that lays blue eggs? Is there a difference between an olive egger and an Easter egger in the event that the hen lays green? They are both just cross breeds bred for egg color, right?

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    its nearly impossible or impossible that if you breed two green eggers to get a blue egger, green and blue eggers have the same gene(O/O) the difference is that blue eggers have a white egg shell background and the green have a brown egg shell background, and due to the polygenic nature of the brown egg shell its impossible to cross two brown egg shell layers to expect white eggs

7. tammyfarms

tammyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Sanford, NC
    Another question, if I breed my Amerucana roo to a barred rock or RIR hen, what are the percentages of hens that will lay brown vs blue eggs? Will the offspring with pea combs then be considered Easter Eggers? Thanks!

8. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    All of the offspring would be EEs and lay a variation of Blueish Greenish depending on how blue the roos genes were and how bron the hens genes were. If your Roo is a pure Ameraucana and the respective hens are pure too then I believe all the offspring would have a Pea comb, although when they breed it would not pass on Pea to all of their offspring (50-50 Pea & Straight).

9. tammyfarms

tammyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Sanford, NC
    Thanks!! I appreciate the reply. There is so much to learn about genetics! Chicken color, egg color, and that is just the beginning. I wish I had been more interested in science when I was in high school and college. I was an earth science gal... bugs, plants and rocks.

10. LeJeune1

LeJeune1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Allen Parish, LA
    I know, there is so much to learn. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by